PUBLIC INFORMATION REQUEST #1 ROUND ONE

Sunday night I sent a Public Record Request to Supt. White regarding Jeff. Parish School Supt. Meza's claim that White had promised him $200,000 a year for three years for every new charter he opens in Jefferson Parish.

From: lpbharley
To: john.white
Sent: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Subject: Public Information Request

Dear Superintendent White:

Pursuant to the Public Records Act of Louisiana, R.S. 44:1 et seq., I respectfully request the following information:

The statement said the Education Department has committed to giving new Jefferson Parish charter schools $200,000 for start-up money each year in their first three years in service. State education Superintendent John White said in the statement that the cooperative effort between Jefferson and the state in part recognizes parish leaders for insisting that, "all of their students have access to a high-quality school."

2. The source of the funds that you agreed to pay for the above.

4. Similar or identical contractual agreements that you have made with any and all other school districts or LAEs or charter schools for any amount and for the same circumstances.

Sincerely,

* * * * * * * * I didn't get an answer in the prescribed 72 hours so I sent this second request.

From: "lpbharley@aol.com"
Date: July 18, 2012 5:12:35 PM CDT
To: John White
Cc: Lottie Beebe
Subject: Fwd: Public Information Request

Supt. White -

I have not heard from you regarding my request for public information. It is my understanding that requests must be acknowledged within 72 hours.

Please let me know if my request will be denied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Within 30 minutes I got this response. Notice it was CC'd to Erin Bendily (She's the lady with whom Supt. White had his email conversation about what the heck he was going to say to the legislature the next day when they asked about the voucher screw up.)

From: Raphael Gang
To: lpbharley
Cc: John White ; Erin Bendily (DOE)
Sent: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 5:32 pm
Subject: RE: Public Information Request

Ms. Barrios,

The attached RFA describes the Department’s current priorities regarding start-up funding for targeted geographic areas throughout the state. At this time, there is no other documentation regarding the process for allocating start-up funding to schools. Please continue to check our website for further information about the availability of start-up funding.

Best,

Raphael Gang
Deputy Director
Louisiana Department of Education
1201 North Third Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
225.342.0668
www.louisianaschools.net

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * The attachment can be found within this Press Release and is titled Call for Quality Schools. After reading it, I sent this third request. I was trying to be nice but I guess my last comment could be construed as "tongue in cheek" at best. I apologize for that - sort of. http://www.doe.louisiana.gov/offices/publicaffairs/press_release.aspx?PR=1624

Mr. Gang -

Thank you for responding to my second request for information.

I have read the attached RFA. I am asking for the following information again, which your attachment does not provide according to my reading. Please direct me to a specific part of the document if I am incorrect.

1. All correspondence, contractual agreements, cooperative agreements or commitments between you and/or the Department of Education and Superintendent Meza and/or the Jefferson Parish School Board agreeing to fund the Jefferson Parish School System in the amount of $200,000 for each new charter school with whom they contract to be paid each year for three years. If, in fact, no "commitment" was made and no "cooperative effort" communicated with JPPSS, please indicate that. If the agreement was simply verbal, please so indicate.

2. The source of the funds that you agreed to pay for the above. I found no such information in your attachment. If an agreement was, in fact, made between Supt. White and JPPSS, please indicate from whence the proposed funding was to come.

3. When the agreement was made and when, if any, the first payments have been made. The JPPSS web site nor the newspaper article identified a date that the purported commitment was made between Mr. White and JPPSS.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that your first response was in good faith. Therefore, I would appreciate a more complete response within 72 hours.

Sincerely,

Lee P. Barrios, M.Ed., NBCT

-----Original Message-----
From: Raphael Gang
To: lpbharley
Cc: John White ; Erin Bendily (DOE)
Sent: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 5:32 pm

From: "lpbharley@aol.com"
Date: July 18, 2012 5:12:35 PM CDT
To: John White
Cc: Lottie Beebe
Subject: Fwd: Public Information Request

Supt. White -

Please let me know if my request will be denied.

Sincerely,

Lee P. Barrios, M.Ed., NBCT

178 Abita Oaks Loop

Abita Springs, LA 70420

985-789-8304

-----Original Message-----
From: lpbharley
To: john.white
Sent: Sun, Jul 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Subject: Public Information Request

Dear Superintendent White:

2. The source of the funds that you agreed to pay for the above.

Sincerely,